Monday, January 20, 2014

Professional 'Development' in 2014 | January 13, 2014


One of my professional development goals this year is to continue to learn how to use the various forms of instructional technology effectively in order to increase student achievement in 6th/7th grade science and to improve as a teacher leader. Last school year, I attended workshop sessions on instructional technology during the Michigan Digital Learning Conference (MDLC) at the Macomb Intermediate School District (MISD) and during the conference hosted by the Michigan Association of Computer Users in Learning (MACUL) at Cobo Hall in Detroit. After attending these workshop sessions, I implemented many of the instructional technology strategies in my classroom and shared what I learned with colleagues. As a presenter at the 'GetSMART 2103' conference sponsored by the Chippewa Valley Schools, I shared information on 'Flipping the Classroom' using instructional technology tools such as Edmodo, Kahn Academy, and Remind101.    

This school year, I also would like to focus my professional development on further developing my knowledge of the science content at the 6th/7th grade level in order to have a deeper understanding which will enable me to explain the concepts in various ways to students who are struggling and to challenge advanced students with higher-order thinking. I am interested in observing the hands-on science projects and activities that are completed by students in other classrooms at my grade levels. Using my blog, I will share these ideas for hands-on science projects and activities with colleagues. I also would like to develop my teaching strategies through reading publications from the Association of Supervision and Curriculum Development (ASCD) and participating in the Teacher Leadership Program at the Macomb Intermediate School District (MISD) or the Galileo Institute through Oakland University (OU). 




--
Mike Lerchenfeldt